Protect Your Pet from Toxic Substances
As a pet owner, keeping your pet safe is a 24/7 job. Staying informed about your pet’s diet, their medications, and potential hazards they could be exposed to requires ongoing effort. There are seemingly countless potential pet toxins, but our veterinarians at Heartland Veterinary Clinic can help your pet avoid them. We serve clients in Harrisonburg, VA and the surrounding areas.
Learn more about the hazards of various pet toxins by calling us at (540) 208-5415.
Generally speaking, you should limit the non-pet food that your pet eats. Before giving your pet food that is not specifically intended for animals, discuss it with your veterinarian or pet nutritionist.
The following food may be dangerous to your pet:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Apple seeds
- Cherry, apricot, and peach pits
- Coffee grounds and beans
- Macadamia nuts and walnuts
- Mustard seeds
- Onions and onion powder
- Potato leaves and stems
- Rhubarb leaves
- Tomato leaves and stems
- Xylitol (an artificial sweetener)
- Yeast dough
No one wants to see their furry friend suffering from illness or pain. Though your inclination may be to treat them with medication, keep in mind that medicines designed for adults and even children can be extremely toxic to your pet. Consult with a Harrisonburg veterinarian at Heartland Veterinary Clinic before giving your pet any medications. We can recommend and prescribe safe, non-toxic medications.
Never give your pet:
Whether you have a large backyard garden or a few houseplants, it’s vital that you make sure they are not toxic to your pet. There are more than 700 plants that have been identified as potentially toxic and dangerous to pets. A pet that comes in contact with a toxic plant can suffer anything from mild nausea to death.
Plant species that may be toxic to pets include:
- Autumn crocus
- Calla lily
- Day lily
- Easter lily
- Elephant's ear
- Japanese pieris
- Morning glory
- Tiger lily
Pesticides & Rodenticides
Many pet owners use pesticides in the garden and rodenticides around the house to keep unwanted pests and rodents away – but inadvertently affect their pets. If you are using any type of pesticide or rodenticide, be sure to check the ingredients and determine if any of the substances in the product are potentially toxic to pets. Safe usage and proper storage of these products can help protect your pet.
The symptoms from ingesting or absorbing toxic pesticides or rodenticides can include:
- Excessive salivation
- Pin-point pupils
At Heartland Veterinary Clinic, we are passionate about educating clients on the impacts of pet toxins and helping them protect their furry friends from potential toxins.
Discuss your questions or concerns with us today by calling (540) 208-5415.
“Dr. Brian was great.”- John A.
“Everybody there makes you feel like your pet is the most important one there.”- Tammy S.
“The staff at heartland is compassionate, takes time to make sure you have your questions answered, and has been flexible when we aren't comfortable with the first option.”- Tammy H.