Update on our COVID-19 Protocol (3/25/2020):
During COVID-19 and closure of all non-essential businesses, we want to reassure all of our clients of Heartland Veterinary Clinic’s commitment to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus while providing the best possible care to your pets. As an essential business, we will continue to be open for you and your pets until otherwise instructed by the state or federal authority.
At this time we are only currently accepting essential sick pet visits, which includes emergency and critical care cases that need immediate medical assistance as well as necessary surgeries and vaccinations. We will not schedule nail trim appointments, grooming appointments (ear cleanings, plucks etc.), ear cropping, or declaw surgeries until Virginia lifts the restriction. As guidelines are issued from our national and state veterinary organizations (AVMA, VVMA, and Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine) we will keep you up to date of any additional changes. We appreciate your understanding as new developments arise.
We ask that clients use their best judgement and bring in only pets that must be seen immediately for essential care. All nonessential visits are asked to wait until the COVID-19 restrictions are lifted for the general public. If you have any questions or concerns about bringing your pet in for care please do not hesitate to give us a call and one of our staff will be available to assist you: (540) 208-5415.
During this time, we appreciate your patience. Some of you have reached out regarding difficulty reaching us on our regular phone lines due to call volume. Please know that we are following an “all hands on deck” approach and will do our very best to answer phone calls/ respond to voicemails in a timely manner. We ask that any non-immediate requests (appointments, medication or food refills etc) be sent through email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or through our website.
Please check your pet’s prescription medication and allow for at least 24 hours after a request is made to pick it up. We are experiencing a higher than usual number of prescription requests. Please note that you can order your prescriptions and pet food online through our website’s online store and have delivered directly to your home.
Our Updated Hours:
- Monday-Wednesday & Friday: 7:30 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 7:30 AM – 7:00 PM
- Saturday & Sunday: Closed
We take the health and well-being of our clients, patients and staff very seriously and want to make sure we are at our best to care for your pets during COVID-19. We want to reassure you that special attention is being paid to remaining as “fear free” as possible with the new protocols. Thank you for your patience and understanding and for allowing us to continue to serve you and your pet during this challenging time. ❤️🐾
- Heartland Veterinary Clinic
Heartland Veterinary Clinic: COVID-19 Public Safety Protocol: Effective 3/18/2020
Due to concern for our clients and staff Heartland is adopting some changes in response to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). These recommendations are being made after careful consideration and are based on the recommendations and actions of the CDC, Virginia Department of Health, American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), the teaching hospital at Virginia Tech and Virginia Veterinary Specialists.
In order to remain open to provide essential care for our patients we will be adopting a DROP OFF policy for seeing patients. This will be not so unlike our normal drop off services that many of you have utilized over the years except all direct client interaction will occur outside of the building.
- Upon arrival at the hospital please call our office number (540) 434-3903 to notify staff of your arrival.
- A care team member, will meet you at your car, obtain history and important clinical information and transfer your pet to a hospital exam room to be evaluated by the veterinarian. CLIENTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED INSIDE THE CLINIC. (please note: team members will be dressed in mask and gloves for your safety and ours)
- After initial exam, the veterinarian will contact you by phone to discuss findings, diagnostic recommendations, and treatment options. Depending on the case being evaluated you may be asked to leave and return once the visit is concluded. For less involved cases you may remain in the parking lot until your pet is ready to go home.
- Payments will be taken over the phone and your pet will be returned to you with any necessary medications, food and/or preventatives.
- All medication refills, prescription diets and retail items will be handled in the same way (call the office on arrival, payment over the phone and then you will be given instruction on what to do/delivery to your car).
This new policy will be in effect until the threat of COVID-19 has subsided and is the only way we can continue providing care to the patients we love. In addition to the above, we will also be closed on Saturdays until it is safe to return to business as usual.
We would like to assure you of the following:
- Patients WILL be treated with the loving and fear reduced approach that Heartland has always strived to provide.
- We WILL still operate as a species separate practice to maintain a fear reduced environment (dogs on main lobby side and cats on cat lobby side).
- You WILL have direct verbal communication with the veterinarian about your pet’s visit.
As healthcare professionals our goal is to provide high quality service while protecting our staff and clientele from unnecessary virus exposure. Thank you for your patience, cooperation and understanding as we all adapt to this ever-evolving situation.
Heartland Veterinary Clinic
“Dr. Brian was great.”- John A.
“Everybody there makes you feel like your pet is the most important one there.”- Tammy S.
“The staff at heartland is compassionate, takes time to make sure you have your questions answered, and has been flexible when we aren't comfortable with the first option.”- Tammy H.