Want to save up to $55?
Words of Wisdom from Dr. Brian Arneson!
Check out our video, with Dr. Arneson, explaining why we recommend wellness screenings and how it can effect your pet's life!
The Spring Wellness Package is back!
...and at the same low price as last year, $170!
We have partnered with Idexx Laboratories once again to offer a
COMPREHENSIVE Exam and COMPLETE Wellness Profile* for only $170 (up to a $55 savings!)
So save $$ today and possibly SAVE your pet tomorrow!
Did you know?
- Annual exams for your pet are about the equivalent of one exam every seven years for humans. Bi-annual exams are recommended for all senior pets. Your pet is considered a "senior" between 6-8 years of age. See the age chart below to determine your pet's "true" age.
- Although a lot can be learned from a thorough physical exam, there are some signs of disease that can only be detected with further testing. This doesn't just apply to sick pets; it's important to understand what's going on inside with pets that appear healthy, too. Wellness testing can also drastically reduce the cost of treatment and speed up recovery, while helping prolong your pet’s life.
- Looks can be deceiving. 10% of pets that appear healthy to owners and veterinarians during annual checkups are found to have hidden diseases.1
- Many diseases show few, if any, signs during the initial stages of infection. When signs do become visible, often it is because infection has become serious.
- Just like with people, your cat’s or dog’s health will change as it ages and/or gains weight. And because pets age faster than people, major health changes can happen fast.
- Finally, even if your pets' tests come back normal, we have now established what is known as a "baseline". This can be a critical reference point should your pet become ill or have wellness testing again at a later age. Changes in values within normal ranges, can be early indicators of potential health issues. Early detection is the number one factor in getting positive outcomes from illness!
- Fecal exam
- We check your pet’s stool twice a year for signs of intestinal disease and parasites. We will examine the stool for outward signs of disease— such as blood, mucus and abnormal consistency or color. We’ll also perform a fecal flotation procedure and take a look with a microscope, which is the best way to uncover the presence of the most common internal parasites, such as roundworms, hookworms or whipworms.
- Heartworm test
- Each year, we collect a small sample of your pet’s blood to test for heartworms, which can be fatal in both dogs and cats. Infected mosquitoes spread heartworm disease. Even pets that stay indoors are susceptible, as mosquitoes can slip into homes and bite an unprotected pet. And even if your dog or cat is on heartworm prevention year-round, it’s critical to do this blood test annually, as even one missed or late dose of preventive can put them at risk.
- Complete blood count (CBC) and serum chemistry panel
- Symptoms of some conditions or diseases won’t show up until your pet is very sick. That’s why we test your pet’s blood annually to detect and try to prevent disease as early as possible. These blood tests tell us whether your pet is anemic (not enough red blood cells) or fighting infection. We can also tell whether internal organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning properly. In some cases, treatable diseases such as diabetes can be detected with these tests.
- Like a blood test, a urine test gives us an understanding of how healthy your pet is on the inside. A urinalysis once a year offers clues that point to underlying causes of disease, such as a bladder infection or kidney disease. Once we have the results of this test and the blood tests, we’ll have a picture of your pet’s internal health and will be well on our way to detecting disease as early as possible.
1. rehm M. seeing double. Vet Econ. 2007;48(10):40–48
© 2010 iDeXX laboratories, inc. all rights reserved.
*Discounts by mail-in rebate to Merial. **Additional "in-clinic" instant rebate ONLY while supplies last!